Thursday 5 February 2009

Champion of Words!

I have a fixation with the word "filter." Not its meaning. Not what it represents. Just the word. Filter. Good word, but not remarkable. It's a sticky little bugger, now it's stuck in my brain.

I don't think we give enough time to words. They're our fucking slaves, and we barely take time to acknowledge their hard work. They tirelessly and thanklessly transmit information to our minds, and we barely give them a second thought. It's like we're the head of some multinational corporation, and they're delivering sandwiches to the mail room. It's time these meek, mild-mannered minions were championed for the hard work they do. Jeez, sounds like the kind of campaign a tabloid would run in a slow week. "These unsung heroes..."

But seriously, the movement starts here with my favourite words.

Pyjamas. This badboy is number one. The close proximity of the three consonants at the start make just saying this word fun. When I'm in private, I like to really draw out that first A. Try it. Pyjaaamas. See? he's earned his place here.

Snorkel. What's not to love about 'snorkel'? It's fun. it's a strange object. it's got a K in it. Tick. Tick. Tick.

Rythym. Good word. Good meaning. Wish i had some. I feel like if I'm mates with the word, the ability will follow. Also, a splendid word if you want t win a game of Hangman. People will complain after you win that there's an 'E' in there somewhere. Send 'em to me. Or the dictionary.

They're my top 3. I'd be genuinely surprised if they were yours too. But at least you see where I'm coming from. If you'd like to nominate and unsung hero in your vocabulary, plus go in the running to win a trip for two to Little England in Southern Spain, fill in the form in this weeks Sun or got to http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/article296174.ece

No comments:

Post a Comment