Wednesday 11 May 2011

I DIDN'T VOTE FOR POKIE LICENSES!!!

I didn’t vote for Pokie Licenses. Although to be fair, I don’t remember seeing his name on the ballot.

It’s become the catch cry of democratic Australia.

“I didn’t vote for this, that, OR the other!”

People seem to have forgotten that a vote is a show of faith in a political party to make decisions on your behalf. What follows when they take power is incidental. That’s how life works. You don’t date Matt Newton to learn how to box, sometimes that’s just the natural order of things.

I’ve accepted the pokie license thing. Even though I didn’t vote for it. Because I also didn’t vote for flood relief. I didn’t vote for a compassionate trip to Japan following a nuclear accident. I didn’t vote for a tax to stop global warming. You might say, ‘Well Rich, isn’t that because you didn’t vote?’ I’d have to say yes, but only so I could keep my “I didn’t vote for…” options open.

Another great one is the classic “Our Anzacs didn’t give their lives for …” You know, gay marriage, Islamic Australia, cooking shows around the clock. Of course they didn’t. Had they been fighting for that, it would of shown INCREDIBLE forsight. Although, I reckon if they’d had that kind of foresight, they might not have ended up on a Turkish beach in the first place.

But the thing is, maybe they did die for this. For a gay, Muslim, Nisoise salad.
If you’ve been to Gallipoli, you’ll know the trenches snake up from the beach all the way to the top of the hill. Maybe what happened, is all the soldiers were lined up in the trenches, An at the very top of the hill was a guy with a little table and a deck of tarot cards, and one by one the soldiers looked into the future and saw that it was worth dying for.

“Two blokes kissing in a church? Yep? Over you go.

“A choice of religions? Yep? Go forth my boy.

“Fat guy in a cravat? Yep? Give your life and it shall be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment