Tuesday 28 April 2009

Not Derogatory.

A little while is was doing a topical joke at a gig. Doing topical material is hard coz if you do it for any longer than 48hrs, it pretty much goes from being “topical” to being “hack”. So you write it, learn it as best you can, then perform it once, maybe twice if it’s good.
Bearing this in mind, a while ago I did a topical joke at a gig. It went like so...

“Did you see that thing about the Sri Lankan cricket team on the news? Apparently they hit a massive score against the Pakistani’s and the next day they got shot up by all these gunmen. Luckily, no players were killed, just injured. So it looks like the Pakistani bowlers aren’t the only ones that need to work on their line and length”

Not a great joke, but good enough as it was topical. The problem was, when I did it, i was so busy trying to remember the joke that instead of referring to the team as the Pakistanis, I called them “The Paki’s”

After I did so, there was this really weird vibe in the room, no-one really liked me and I couldn’t work out why. After the gig, MC told me what had happened, referring to the Pakistanis as Paki’s. But in Australia, it’s not derogatory, it’s an abbreviation.

The only other time I’d felt such a weird vibe in a room towards me was at this party a little while back. It was at a mates place, and I drunk way too much and passed out early in the night. One of the boys drew a cock on my cheek whilst i was out. Would have been fine, but a few hours later i rose and rejoined the party, but there was a really weird vibe in the room, like no-one really liked me and I couldn’t work out why. It was only when I got talking to a French girl that I realised.

She said “You know you’ve got a dick on your cheek” I said “ah yeah, but my name’s Richard. In Australia, it’s not derogatory, it’s an abbreviation.

No comments:

Post a Comment